ONLINE DISCUSSION/QUIZ-7-11-2022–ECO. 591-Research Methods
1. Researchers have argued that decision-making is the process of selecting the best alternative from the available set of alternatives. Again, management is chiefly concerned with decision-making and its implementation. However, these decisions should be based on appropriate studies, evaluations and observations. As policy makers, research provides us with knowledge and skills needed to solve the problems and to meet the challenges of a fast paced decision-making environment. As the Special Adviser to Mr. President on Research Methods and Policy Analysis, you have been invited to the Centre for Policy Research and Economic Analysis to present a paper on “The Critical Role of Research in Decision Making and Policy Formulation in Nigeria”. Not forgetting the various activities that occur in decision making and the critical role of research, what would you tell your audience?
2. During one of his interactive sessions with the members of the Parliament, Mr. President made the following conspicuous statement, “To produce a globally- accepted empirical research paper that can be published in a high-ranking impact factor journal, the research problem must be clinically defined, with well laid out objectives and matching methodology. And of course without any dilly-dally or shilly-shally, the literature review should be analytical, rigorous, argumentative, theoretical, empirical, integrative and comparative”. As the Special Adviser to Mr. President on Research Methods and Development Strategy, clearly discuss and analyze the above statement.
3. Outline the various sections that will appear in an MSc Thesis Proposal in your Department.
4. One of the preliminary pages in the MSc thesis is the abstract. Suppose the title of your MSc thesis is “Macroeconomic Determinants of Industrial Output in ECOWAS sub-region”. Prepare a sample abstract on this title.
5. Following the 6th edition of the APA referencing style, provide a sample reference list containing: a book with one author; a book with ten authors; fifth edition of a book with three authors; a book chapter; a journal article with two authors; two journal articles published by the same author in a given year; an MSc thesis; a conference paper; and a document on the internet.
6. Research is an endeavor to discover answers to intellectual and practical problems through the application of scientific method. It is a systematized effort to gain new knowledge or to provide information for solving a problem It is also a careful inquiry or examination to discover new information or relationships and to expand and to verify existing knowledge. Discuss this comprehensively
7. Comprehensively discuss the characteristics and types of research
8. At each operational step in the research process you are required to choose from a multiplicity of methods, procedures and models of research methodology which will help you to best achieve your objectives. In view of this clearly discuss the research process and what it entails.
9. Clearly discuss the Measurement Scales of Variable and common errors of measurement in research
10. Sampling is very vital in economic analysis. Discuss the two main types of sampling and their various components.
11. What are the various elements of model building building in Economics
12. Discuss Quantitative, Qualitative and Mixed Method Research in Economics and distinguish them with appropriate examples
13. Clearly discuss the concept of Time Series Data, Cross Sectional and Panel Data, collection and transformation, including the ICT tools involved.
14. Grant writing is very important for researchers globally. In view of this clearly discuss the Basic Elements of Grant Writing, Identify key elements of successful grant writing and analyse how to determine the right funding for your proposal.