The Government of the Czech Republic offers scholarships within the framework of its Foreign Development Assistance in support of the study of foreign nationals from developing countries at public institutions of higher education in the Czech Republic.
Application Deadline: 30th September 2021
About the Award: Granting scholarships to citizens from developing countries for studies at Czech public higher education institutions (referred to as “universities”) is an important part of the foreign development cooperation of the Czech Republic and has a long tradition. From the late 1950s to the present day over 20 000 foreign nationals have completed their studies at Czech universities with a scholarship of the Government of the Czech Republic.
Government scholarships for studies at universities in the Czech Republic are governed by a Resolution of the Government of the Czech Republic as part of a joint project pursued by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (https://www.msmt.cz/) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (https://www.mzv.cz/).
Type: Doctoral and Masters
- The scholarships are intended solely to promote the studies of adults who are foreign nationals from developing third countries in need. Neither a citizen of the Czech Republic, nor a citizen of a member state of the European Union, nor any other foreign national with a permit to permanent residence on the territory of the Czech Republic may, therefore, be granted this type of scholarship. Furthermore, the scholarships may not be granted to persons under 18 years of age. (The applicants have to turn 18 as of 1 September of the year when they commence studies in the Czech Republic at the latest.)
- In Master/ Doctoral Study Programmes plus one-year Preparatory Course of the English language (Which is combined with other field-specific training): Government scholarships of this category are awarded to graduates from upper secondary schools, or Bachelor’s / Master’s degree courses, as applicable, Who can Enroll only in Study Programmes in which instruction is given in the English language. Depending on the subject area, Applicants are normally required to sit entrance Examinations at the higher education institution Concerned. Successful passing of Entrance examination constitutes a precondition for the scholarship award; or
- in Follow-up Master study programmes or Doctoral study programmes. Government scholarships of this category are awarded to graduates from Bachelor or Master study programmes, respectively, who enrol in study programmes with instruction in the English language.
In addition, the Scholarship Review Board will take into consideration applicants’ results from their earlier studies. Priority will be given to students who have not previously had the opportunity to study abroad.
Eligible Countries: Scholarships for the academic year 2021/2022 are offered to the citizens of the following countries:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina,
- and Zambia.
To be Taken at (Country): Public Universities in Czech Republic
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- The scholarship covers the necessary costs related to staying and studying in the Czech Republic. The scholarship amount is regularly amended.
- Currently the amount paid to students on a Bachelor’s, Master’s or follow-up Master’s study programme stands at CZK 14,000 per month
- Whereas the amount paid to students of a Doctoral study programme stands at CZK 15,000 per month.
The above scholarship amounts include an amount designated for the payment of accommodation costs. Costs of accommodation, food and public transport are covered by scholarship holders from the scholarship under the same conditions that apply to students who are citizens of the Czech Republic. Should health services exceeding standard care be required by the student, s/he shall cover them at his/her own cost.
Duration of Award: These Government Scholarships are designed to cover the standard length of study plus one-year preparatory course of the Czech language(which is combined with other field-specific training).
How to Apply: Each applicant is obliged to fill in an electronic application form available at http://registr.dzs.cz/registr.nsf at the latest by 30 September of the year prior to the given academic year (i.e. the calendar year that precedes the academic year for which scholarships are offered).
Detailed information on the terms and conditions of scholarship awards is provided in the binding “Guidelines for Granting Scholarships of the Government of the Czech Republic”, issued in Czech and English
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
Click here to apply