Application Deadline: 30th June 2021 at 7:00 PM UTC.
About the Award: Fellowships for PhD students at universities globally pursuing research aligned to the Microsoft Research areas of focus.
- Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Students should support this mission and embrace opportunities to foster diverse and inclusive cultures within their communities.
- PhD students must be enrolled at a university in EMEA (Europe, the Middle East, or Africa).
- Proposed research must be closely related to one of the themes at Microsoft Research Cambridge:
- Cloud Infrastructure
- Confidential Computing
- Future of Work
- Health Intelligence
- Machine Intelligence
- Students must be entering their third year or beyond of their PhD program sometime between August 2021 – July 2022 having taken into account transfers, approved leaves of absence, etc.
- PhD students must continue to be enrolled at the university in the beginning of academic year 2022 or forfeit the award. Fellowships are not available for extension. If you require time away for family or medical leave, this will be accommodated. If you are unsure if a particular need for time away will affect the award, you can contact Microsoft Research Fellowships at email@example.com.
- Payment of the award, as described above, will be made directly to the university and dispersed according to the university’s policies. Microsoft will have discretion as to how any remaining funds will be used if the student is no longer qualified to receive funding (e.g., if the student unenrolls from the program, graduates, or transfers to a different university).
- Funding is for use only during the recipient’s time in the PhD program; it cannot be used for support in a role past graduation, such as a postdoc or faculty position. Those interested in receiving this fellowship will need to confirm their PhD program starting month and year, as well as their expected graduation month and year.
- A recipient of the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship subject to disciplinary proceedings for inappropriate behavior, including but not limited to discrimination, harassment (including sexual harassment), or plagiarism will forfeit their funding.
- PhD students submitting a proposal should be able to communicate about their research (both in writing and verbally) in English.
Eligible Countries: Countries in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA)
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- $15,000 USD is provided to help complete research as part of their doctoral thesis work for academic year 2022–23.
- Eligible recipients will be offered a 12-week paid internship with Microsoft Research’s Cambridge, UK lab, or the Microsoft Africa Research Institute (MARI).
- Opportunities will be provided to build relationships with research teams at Microsoft and receive mentorship.
How to Apply: See information (in LINK) below
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.