The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, will on Monday
(today) challenge his suspension by President Muhammadu Buhari in a
competent courtin the Fact, Abuja.
This is just as the National Judicial Council’s 88th meeting in Abuja
has been delayed following fears of a possible clash between supporters
of Onnoghen and the acting CJN, Justice Tanko Mohammed.
A senior advocate, who is a member of Onnoghen’s legal team, told The
Punch that it had become necessary to do so as the suspension of a CJN
by a President was unprecedented.
He said, “We will be going to court to challenge the suspension of the
CJN. The President relied on a CCT order despite the fact that the Court
of Appeal had restrained all parties from removing the chief justice.
“The CJN was not even served with the court processes before he was
removed by the President. So, all these will be challenged in court.
When the processes have been filed, the documents will be made public.”
When asked why the CJN waited for three days before challenging his
removal, the source said, “He was suspended late on Friday and you know
courts do not sit on Saturday and Sunday.”
NJC holds emergency meeting Tuesday
Meanwhile, the National Judicial Council has fixed an emergency meeting for Tuesday (tomorrow) in Abuja by 10am.
The meeting, one of our correspondents learnt, was called over the Friday suspension of Onnoghen by President Buhari.
The spokesperson for the NJC, Mr Soji Oye, confirmed the meeting in a
statement on Sunday night. He said the notice of the meeting had already
been sent by the Secretary of the council, Ahmed Saleh, to members.
“The meeting will hold on Tuesday and notice has been sent to members. I
can confirm this to you. It is different from the rumour that was in
circulation before that a meeting had been fixed for Monday,” Oye said.