APPLY NOW! RECRUITMENT OF INSTRUCTOR(S) FOR A POLICY BRIEF TRAINING WORKSHOP AT AERC
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
INSTRUCTOR(S) FOR A POLICY BRIEF TRAINING WORKSHOP
AERC was established in 1988 and is one of the most active policy-relevant economic capacity building organizations in the world, with a focus on sub-Saharan Africa. The Consortium’s vision is sustained development in sub-Saharan Africa grounded in sound economic management and an informed society. Its mission is to strengthen local capacity for conducting independent, rigorous inquiry into problems pertinent to the management of African economies, through a synergetic programme combining research with
postgraduate training in economics. The mission and objectives of AERC are achieved through a longstanding collaborative and networking framework of its research and training programmes, supported by an interactive communications and outreach programme.
AERC is planning to hold a Back-to-Back Policy Brief Training Workshops from 6-11 March 2023 in Dakar, Senegal:
i) 6-8 March – Think Tank Researchers (Human Capital Development project)
ii) 9-11 March – Individual Researchers (Human Capital Development project)
The course could be offered by one instructor or a team of instructors. The main objectives of the training are as follows:
1. Build capacity and skills in communicating research to maximize its uptake and impact,
2. Increase understanding of policy processes, policymakers’ needs and the role of Policy Briefs,
3. Increase understanding of the role of social media in communicating research and how to engage on social media platforms,
4. Produce a draft Policy Brief for each research project for the participants which should be finalized after the workshop with assistance provided by resource persons (instructor(s)).
Participants in the policy training workshop are researchers in the BMGF Human Capital Development collaborative project. An important part of the course will consist of tutorials and exercises to improve the draft policy briefs written by the AERC researchers, exercises on how to engage media and how to use social media to communicate research findings and how to engage on social platforms. The workshop will combine lectures, tutorials, and exercises. The other information on the training workshop is as follows.
1. Number of participants will be about 30 researchers per group.
2. The participants will bring their own laptops and a draft policy brief based on their AERC BMGF Human Capital Development collaborative project.
3. The full set of materials prepared for the course by instructor will be shared on a drop box (OneDrivelink).
4. Daily session starts from 09:00hrs to about 17:00hrs (GMT), with lunch break of about one hour and two health breaks of about 30 minutes each. This information should help in devising an appropriate break down and the components of the course for each day.
5. The instructor(s) will provide the agenda for the meeting and all the practice exercise both physical and online platform.
Selection of the instructor(s) will be based on the following criteria:
• Experience in offering the course (A proof will be more desirable),
• Experience in writing policy briefs and how to use policy briefs,
• Knowledge and experience in using social to disseminate research findings and engage
• Knowledgeable in dealing or interacting with policy makers,
• If the instructors are a team, then demonstrate cohesion in the team (must have offered the course as a team) in the last few years.
If you and/or your team have this qualification and you would like to offer the training course, you are invited to send your expression of interest to AERC by email, to email@example.com outlining your experience in teaching the course.
Your expression of interest will be evaluated by the AERC procurement unit, and you will be informed of the outcome within a week after the deadline. The following parameters will be considered during evaluation:
– Academic qualifications,
– Years of experience offering the course as a team and,
– Previous interaction with policy makers.
AERC will offer a moderate honorarium for the services provided during that period including the time required for preparation of the course. If selected, AERC will take care of the following: Air ticket to and from the venue of the workshop; accommodation; per diem, visa fee and other expenses as will be specified in the agreement letter.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: If you are interested, kindly respond by January 24, 2023
Click on the link below to download the call