Fully-funded GEM Scholarships 2023 for PhD Students – Stellenbosch University,South Africa
The Graduate School of Economic and Management Sciences’ call for applications is open from the 13th of June to 1 August 2022 and will recruit for full-time PhD scholarship positions, funded by the Graduate School to a maximum of R138 000 per year for three years. The Graduate School allocates these scholarships by considering each application on its own merit.
Candidates must meet the following minimum criteria to be considered for a scholarship:
- A candidate must meet the minimum criteria for admission to a PhD at Stellenbosch University. This requires a master’s degree in the relevant discipline or, in exceptional circumstances, an equivalent qualification.
- Candidates must have achieved a grade of 65% in their master’s programmes.
- Preference will be given to applicants younger than 40.
- Only applications in one of the Faculty’s Research Themes will be considered.
- All students who meet the above criteria will be considered.
Application process – GEM Scholarships
- Follow these steps to apply for the 2023 cohort of the Graduate School:
- Read the criteria for eligibility stated above.
- Download and fill in the Application FormGEM_2022-Application.docx
- You will be required to write a letter motivating your suitability for the scholarship (maximum length: one A4 page), as well as a research concept note (no maximum length) on one or more selected research topics or problems which you intend to study in the course of your doctoral programme. These should be completed on the application form in the relevant sections.
- Please consult the2022 Research Themes to guide you in choosing a research topic. Research topics outside the listed research themes can be accommodated only if it falls within the current research themes that are active in one of the Faculty’s academic departments.
- Please note that scholarships can only be awarded where the Faculty is able to appoint a suitable supervisor for the topic to be studied.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee entry. There are limited scholarships available and awards are made on a competitive basis.
- The Graduate School reserves the right to not award any scholarships.
- Please ensure that your three references are informed that their referee reports stating your capability to complete doctoral studies should be sent directly to the Graduate School via email (GEM@sun.ac.za) on or before 1 August 2022.
- Send your completed application form electronically to: GEM@sun.ac.za
- Any queries regarding the application process can be sent to GEM@sun.ac.za.
Due to the large number of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not received communication from the Graduate School Office by the 15th of October 2022, the application should be considered as unsuccessful.
The new intake of PhDs will commence their studies on the 16th of January 2023.