EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
INSTRUCTOR(S) FOR A POLICY BRIEF TRAINING WORKSHOP
AERC was established in 1988 and is one of the most active policy-relevant economic capacity-building organizations in the world, with a focus on sub-Saharan Africa. The Consortium’s vision is sustained development in sub-Saharan Africa grounded in sound economic management and informed society. Its mission is to strengthen local capacity for conducting an independent, rigorous inquiry into problems pertaining to the management of African economies, through a synergetic programme combining research with postgraduate training in economics. The mission and objectives of AERC are achieved through a longstanding collaborative and networking framework of its research and training programmes, supported by interactive communication and outreach programme.
AERC is planning to hold a 3-day Policy Brief Training Workshop from May 3-5, 2022. The course could
be offered by one instructor or a team of instructors. The main objectives of the training are as follows:
1. Build capacity and skills in communicating research to maximize its uptake and impact
2. Increase understanding of policy processes, policymakers’ needs and the role of Policy Briefs
3. Increase understanding of the role of social media in communicating research and how to engage
on social media platforms
4. Produce a draft Policy brief for each research project for the participants which should be finalized
after the workshop with assistance provided by resource persons (instructor(s)).
Participants in the policy training workshop are researchers in 3 collaborative projects: i) Impact of Covid
19 & Livelihoods and ii) Inclusive Finance for Fragile and Post Conflict States in Africa and iii) Climate
Change and Economic Development in Africa (CCEDA). An important part of the course will consist of
tutorials and exercise to improve the draft policy briefs written by the AERC researchers, exercises on how
to engage media and how to use social media to communicate research findings and how to engage on
social platforms. The workshop will combine lectures, tutorials, and exercises. The other information on
the training workshop is as follows:
1. Number of participants –about 25.
2. The participants to bring their own computers and a draft policy brief based on their AERC
collaborative research projects:
i) AERC-IDRC-OXFAM Covid 19 & Livelihoods Project funded by IDRC
ii) Inclusive Finance for Fragile and Post Conflict States in Africa Project funded IDRC
iii) Climate Change and Economic Development in Africa (CCEDA) Project funded by Sida.
3. The full set of materials prepared for the course by instructor will be shared on a drop box (OneDrive
4. Daily sessions start from 10:00hrs to about 17:00hrs (GMT+3), with a lunch break of about one hour
and two health breaks of about 15 minutes each. This information should help in devising an appropriate
breakdown and the components of the course for each day.
5. The instructor(s) will provide the agenda for the meeting and all the practice exercise on an online platform.
Click on the link below to read more and apply:
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: If you are interested, kindly respond by April 11, 2022