The Centre of African Studies at SOAS, University of London, is pleased to announce the extension of the Governance for Development in Africa Initiative, funded by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation, for another three years,. The focus of the project remains the same in terms of creating a dedicated environment to support the study of the socio-economic, political, and legal links between governance and development.
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation has generously provided SOAS with two PhD scholarships every year for African students undertaking a full‐time PhD and Masters programme in the field of Governance for Development in Africa.
Fields of Study: The eligible PhD are only those within the following departments:
- Development Studies
- International Relations/Politics
- CISD (Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy)
- DEFIMS (Department for Financial and Management Studies )
- Distance Learning: CEFIMS(Centre for Financial and Management Studies), DEFIMS
Once the place is secured, the applicants can apply for the scholarship. Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a panel consisting of SOAS academic members. The assessment of your application will be based on the information in your scholarship application. Please provide the following documents:
- a copy of the unconditional offer received from SOAS admissions office
- CV (please include your email address)
- 2 pages max statement outlining knowledge and interest in governance-related issues
- Your research proposal (as sent to the SOAS Admissions Office)
- one academic reference (to be sent directly by referee to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please note that CAS reserves the right not to award scholarships and will only award them where there are applicants judged to meet sufficiently high academic standards and with demonstrable interests in fields relevant to the objectives of the GDAI.
The deadline for submission of application is 31st March 2023.
Click on the link below to read more, apply and circulate widely