- Organization: ILO – Inter Grade: NOA
Vacancy no.: ABUJA/DC/NO/2021/01
Publication date: 04 May 2021
Application deadline (midnight local time): 18 May 2021
Job ID: 5984
Organization Unit: CO-Abuja
Contract type: Fixed Term
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for National Officer positions is subject to specific local recruitment and eligibility criteria.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade.
At the United Nations Climate Action Summit in 2019, 46 countries committed to develop national plans for a just transition through social dialogue and decent work through green jobs, enabling ambitious action for a sustainable work future. To support and implement these commitments, the United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, announced the creation of a “Climate Action for Jobs” initiative and designated the International Labour Organization to lead its implementation.
The ‘Social Dimension of Ecological Transition’ project takes place in this context and is one of the key axes of the 2020-2024 partnership between France and the ILO. The project aims to make a just ecological transition possible in countries through a better understanding of the nature and impact of climate change on employment and on income, as well as the definition of social measures and policies to promote job creation and social inclusion while mitigating economic and social risks.
The NPC will work under the overall responsibility and the direct supervision of the Country Office Director.
Description of Duties
The NPC will support the coordination of the project. More specifically, the NPC will:
- Coordinate the effective and timely implementation of the project’s activities and agreed outputs and its reporting.
- Coordinate and facilitate the ILO’s engagement with national partners from both the public and private sector targeted by the project, including relevant national ministries, workers’ and employers’ organizations as well as the academic world (research institutes, universities).
- Review and analyze specific policy developments, socioeconomic data, reports and other relevant information for the project and provide written analysis on links to the project.
4. Identify project implementation challenges, propose solutions and actions as well as ensure follow-up with ILO departments at headquarters and the ILO Regional Office for Africa as well as constituents to expedite implementation and meet targets.
5. Prepare briefs, background information, periodical and technical reports – including annual work plans and budget – on the status of the project and the just transition in Nigeria.
6. Contribute to, review and comment on the project technical reports such as on stocktaking, sector policies, indicators and institutional learning, to inform project implementation, report on progress and suggest remedial action where appropriate
7. Participate in the preparation of conferences, seminars, workshops, training sessions and meetings.
Desc. of Duties Contd.
8. Support the design and delivery of capacity building and training activities for the project, including national or regional workshops or seminars in relation to, inter alia, supporting economic evaluation models and tools, supporting social dialogue and the development of just transition policies
9. Identify, contract and supervise external collaborators
10. Provide updates, mission reports and communicate on progress of the project’s implementation, as well as participate in relevant team meetings, conferences and workshops
11. Undertake missions to project sites across the country independently or accompanying other officials.
First level university degree or similar professional qualification in sustainable development and/or economics and/or management, and/or social sciences and/or any other relevant field.
Minimum of 2 years of professional experience in the area of sustainable development, green economy or green jobs and technical cooperation programmes.
Excellent command of English. The Knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Good knowledge of program and budget, project formulation, administration and evaluation techniques and practices. Good knowledge of the role, priorities and operations of the ILO. Knowledge of the office’s financial rules and regulations. Ability to perform a variety of conceptual analyses required for the implementation and evaluation of projects. Excellent drafting skills. Excellent ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to solve problems and to negotiate. Good computer applications skills. Good organizational skills. Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team. Ability to deal with people with tact and diplomacy. Ability to supervise staff. Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviours and attitudes.
The ILO attaches great importance to diversity among its staff and aims to achieve gender balance. Applications from qualified men and women, including handicapped persons are encouraged.
Assessed candidates who will be considered as appointable for this position can also be offered to be assigned on a TEMPORARY position at the same or at a lower grade provided that said candidates possesses the minimum qualifications for this position
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Click here to apply: